Friday, August 30, 2013

Day 5 (6/29/13)

Christy:

Been in Africa since Monday. My kids arrived to me on Tuesday, so, I have had them 4 days. I have gone through 5 loaves of bread and 40 ounces of peanut butter. The kids would eat all the time if I would let them. My daughter had a meltdown over Fanta today and my son is now whining because Dora is over. Oh, did I mention the lice? As a woman and mother whose has NEVER had to deal with lice, this is a BLAST. Lice gives me the heebe jeebes - I'm sure that is why I am dealing with it. Welcome to Africa!

Thankful to be in a place with women (and a couple dads) who I have gotten to know along the journey. Not sure I would be strong enough to do this by myself!

Today was another very decent day. We went to the Kinshasa Zoo. Now before some of you start asking, yes, Kinshasa, DR...C has a zoo. Not the best, but certainly not the worst I have seen. It was nice to get out of the four walls of the compound. A few of us went to a real Congo "market" - not the Super Marche. At the Super Marche you are relatively safe and people tend to leave you alone. At the real Congo market everything goes! I was kinda scared. On numerous occasions I told myself, "Just relax and pretend you know what you are doing." "Pretend this is not your first time." "Pretend that you speak French and you know how many francs equals a dollar". "Pretend you do not see that lady plucking feathers off a freshly killed chicken with more live ones at her feet." It was interesting and I swear my parents would have a coronary if they knew where I was. My mom called me when I was on my way to the airport coming here and said, "We were watching that show River Monsters last night and he was on Congo. He said that is the most dangerous country in the world. Are you sure you want to go?" I felt like say, "You know what? I had no idea, Mom. You are right, I don't want to go, I'm turning around and on my way home right now."

Don't get me wrong - Congo can be very scary, but so if downtown Richmond - only difference here is that the police carry machine guns in their arms instead of pistols on their belts. Most of the danger I feel is because I am not schooled in the culture. As I learn more and more about the culture, I grow less scared of being out - at least during the day. Yes, people stare. Yes, they stare even more when you have your African children with you. Yes, it makes me uncomfortable at times, but what should I do? Stay confined in these walls? NO WAY!

We are going to church tomorrow. Very excited to get to church - and it is FREE! This is an English church, so, doubly excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment