Friday, August 30, 2013

Tough decision (7/5/13)


Friends, after much, much debate, Rob and I have decided that the best thing for me to do is to come home to wait out the rest of the process. I know some of you may be thinking, "WHAT? This was THE trip. You were supposed to bring Imani home! You went to Africa and are leaving AGAIN without her?" (Ok, so some of you might not be thinking that, but we did!)

Here is the deal. We have learned invaluable information about our little girl that we never would have known had I not come here for myself. When I say invaluable, I truly mean that even right this second, I would get on a plane to Africa, again, to learn this information. I wish that I could spell it all out for you, but I can not - one day, maybe.

There is light at the end of our tunnel. A couple days ago, I was n...ot positive that our daughter would ever come home - even two days ago we discussed walking away, but the information we have learned makes it clear that she is a true orphan in need of a forever family - which is all we ever wanted. We have even learned more and confirmed our son's story. So, again, this trip has been invaluable.

The reason I am coming home is this - we do not know if the Embassy is going to put us back in "line" with everyone or if they will work us in. If we get put in "line" then any appointment we get will be in August. There are certain things that must be done before the actual Visa appointment so we are a couple steps away from that. IF it's the BIG IF, they work us in, it will still be 4 weeks at minimum until we are on a plane home. I've been here almost 2 weeks. Truthfully, I am not strong enough to live here for that long. It is hard. Galvani is hard - and he is growing more and more attached every single day. Yes, that is GREAT, but, I will have to leave him at some point. He is already waking up in the middle of the night looking for me if I have to get up to go to the bathroom. The longer I am here, the harder it will be for him when I leave. Also, for being in one of the top 3 most poor countries in the world, it is SUPER expensive to live here and to eat here. I am spending a TON of money just on food alone - I can't eat much of the local fare as it is not safe to eat unless I am signing up to get sick.

It makes the most sense to come home and wait out of the rest of the process. It could be 4 weeks or 8 weeks. We do not have the financial capability to make that work - essentially running two households in two different countries while we are split up. This has been a terribly hard decision to make, but I hope you all can see some of the reasons and will at least respect our decision.

Thank you for all of your love and support over the last 2 weeks. ♥♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment